Do you want to improve your knowledge of antiques and collectibles? And have you decided that getting the right books is the best way for you to get started on this adventure? Well, the purpose of this article is to maintain the most relevant list of books covering antiques & collectibles.
We also have lists of specific collectors topics like coins, wine, watches, stamps, weapons. But this list is a more general list of books on antiques
The antiques and collectibles 2019
The antiques and collectibles 2019 – should be your number one choice. This is arguably the most popular book on antiques and it has been that for many years. the best book about antiques. It has reached more than 50 editions – so you can trust that this concept is well tested and works. A great starter for your career as an antique expert. No, a must actually. Edited by Noah Fleisher, a respected author in collecting from the auction world
Antiques Handbook & Price guide
Miller’s Antiques Price Guide written by Judith Miller has been a classic book for antique collectors and a great allrounder for anyone looking to get into antiques and collecting. Both professionals and newbies will enjoy this antique book.
Judith Miller is an antique expert and she selects the guide’s 8000-plus featured antiques
We have spent several hours reading and summarizing reviews and decided on these 3 art books – as the best 3 art books for 2019. We have highlighted the reasons why people like these books and you are welcome to share your favorite art book in the comment section.
1: Art That Changed The World
Art That Changed The World is 400 pages long. These include the artist’s name, influences, time period, and even critiques of different paintings.
5 reasons to buy this book
- Great read, and a fun and an easy refresher for more seasoned Art History students
- Art and history in one book.
- Perfect coffee table book. Educational and entertaining.
- History of art told with authority, meaning and absolute entertainment
- An art aficionado must have
1 reason not to buy this book
A few people mentioned that this is hardly comprehensive but still acknowledges that it is a great resource.
2: Art – A visual history
All the major schools and movements are reviewed chronologically. 22 masterpieces are reviewed deeper. An ancient Greek sculpture, 1960s Pop Art and more.
The major movements are explored with stylistic trademarks, characteristics, and favored subjects. Around 650 artists are introduced in the book.
4 Main reasons to buy this book
- Most of the people who gave reviews were happy art students – referencing that this is a great resource for the university
- A few people mentioned the strength as an encyclopedia book and that it is great to just do a quick reference check.
- One person reviewed and said – Visually, it’s almost overwhelming. Others highlighted the visual strength of the book as well.
- Stunning pictures in the book was the main topic in the reviews.
3: The art book – Big Ideas Simply Explained
How are masterpieces made? What did the great artists do to create the wonderful works that we all enjoy and try to understand today? Artists Van Gogh, Monet, Picasso, and others.
This book will analyze everything from cave paintings to modern paintings. A thorough review of the history of time and easy to understand guides on the different art theories and themes.
Main reasons to buy this book
- A few people mentioned that the overview of art through the ages is outstanding.
- Many like the easy to understand format. Mentioning that it is very approachable compared to other art books.
- Very easy to read and surprisingly fun and interesting to engage in.
- Many highlights that it is impossible to just open the book and put it down – you will read it for hours.
2 reasons not to buy this book
- A few people believed this book was very focused on art history – and reviewing very old art traditions. Found the title a bit misleading.
- The construction of the book was criticized – poor quality.